Applicants to the Gerontology Program are accepted both fall and spring. The deadline for fall application is August 15 and for spring is December 1. To learn more about the program and the admission process attend a Prospective Student Informational Session.
Read more about the Gerontology's scholarships that can help fund your degree.
Gerontology Prospective Student Informational Sessions
Apply Now! August 15 is the deadline for admissions applications for Fall 2020
The Gerontology Program will host a Prospective Student Informational Session online on May 21 at 12pm.
Students will be expected to meet the following criteria:
- Meet the admissions standards of the University. Have an earned undergraduate grade point average of 3.0.
Apply online through CalState Apply. The Office of Graduate Admissions no longer accepts paper applications to graduate programs. Click here for important information and instructions on using the CalState Apply online application system. Submit the following materials by uploading them to the Cal State Apply online application:
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty and/or employers. These should be from individuals who know the candidate well and can address their potential for succeeding in graduate school. The letters do not have to be from faculty members at an academic institution, they can be from supervisors or others familiar with the candidate's work.
- Your current resume.
Statement of purpose to the SF State M.A. in Gerontology Program. This statement of purpose should describe the following information in a coherent essay (in no more than four pages, double-spaced):
- Life experiences that have led you to an interest in gerontology
- Background in gerontology, including any work or volunteer experience you might have
- Areas of specific interests in the gerontology, including what has led you to these specific interests
- Career and professional goals and aspiration
- How the M. A. in Gerontology degree will be helpful and consistent with your career goals and aspirations
- Why this is the right time in your career to come into a Gerontology program and seek the degree
- Why the SF State M.A. in Gerontology degree program is a good fit for you and your career / professional goals
Level One Preadmission Writing
Indicate the ability to write in a proficient manner by satisfactorily submitting a written statement of purpose for pursuing the graduate degree in gerontology. Applicants who do not submit a well-written statement of purpose will be advised to enhance their writing proficiency by taking a prerequisite course and then reapply to the program.
Level Two Writing Proficiency
Indicate the ability to write in a scholarly manner in the discipline by satisfactorily completing GRN 890 for the culminating experience requirement.